Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Back in the saddle

I know at least two people noticed that, not to put too fine a point on it, I've fallen off the wagon for the last month or so. Personal accountability, right? All I can say is, it was a disharmonic convergence. I was having pains in my legs I really didn't like. Beyond normal muscle soreness. So that was one thing, and frankly, I probably needed the rest. And then there was life. I just got busy. And a little lazy. Sue me.

Today, however, is a new day. I'm less busy than last week. There's more daylight according to the clock we changed last weekend, and I drew motivation from the fact that, despite me playing the role of slug for the past month, I'd not gained any weight. Unbelievable. On the other hand, the last couple of days I've eaten food -- pizza and Mexican -- that was guaranteed to nudge me further in the wrong direction. It'll take a couple of weeks before I feel comfortable declaring this bud nipped, but today was a good start.

My cereal has changed. I'm on a Grape Nuts kick now, though when I get through this box I'm not sure that will continue. Those things taste like cardboard. I think they are. Lunch today was three soft chicken tacos and some nacho chips and salsa, with Coke. Supper, tuna casserole with a side of corn. Sweet niblets.

Before supper, I hit the track. No mp3 player, so the soundtrack was my wheezing, which was significant because a.) I hadn't run in a month, b.) it was a lot warmer than it was on Feb. 26, the date of my last entry (73 degrees here today) and c.) one of the residents across the road from the park decided today was a good day to burn leaves. So that was tough, but I got through my three miles, ran 1.5 of it and came out none the worse for wear.

It was mind-clearing, this workout, with the exception of a persistent annoyance: People who ignore track etiquette. Slower people, keep right. Short of that, just walk a straight line and refrain from weaving back and forth. You're going to cause a torn ACL if you can't decide where you want to be on the track. OK, enough rant. I feel pretty good after having done the run. And now, it's time to go sleep.

Oh, almost forgot. Weight after exercise: 234. YTD mileage 133.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment