Monday, January 25, 2010

For no particular reason at all

Well, there was a reason (improve my fitness, remember?). Anyway, I couldn't help but channel Forrest Gump in my return to double time. I stuck pretty close to my plan. These are 1/4-mile laps, so I traveled three miles on foot.
Lap 1: walk
Lap 2: run
Lap 3: run
Lap 4: walk
Lap 5: walk
Lap 6: run
Lap 7: walk
Lap 8: run
Laps 9-12: walk.

I'm taking the interval training approach. Everything was fine but the lungs, which were burning after 1/2 lap on that first stint running. Course, it was 46 degrees out and the air was dry. Still, it felt good to get that mile in. My hand were cold to start, but I was pretty comfortable by the time it was over.

Weight after exercise: 236. Intake: Honey Bunches of Oats, coffee for breakfast, spaghetti with meatballs for lunch, tuna salad sandwiches and chips for supper. Water. Lots of water.
YTD mileage: 61. Roger Maris would be proud. And I used zero performance-enhancing drugs.

Soundtrack was Huey Lewis tonight. No particular reason. Scrolled through and thought, yeah, I can make that work. Instead of regaling you with the playlist, thought I'd rehash the lyrics of my favorite song of the list.

Bad is Bad
Went downtown to see my cousin
He plays guitar like a chainsaw buzzin'
In the crowd I see his mom and dad
I said, hey uncle, man your son is bad

Sometimes, sometimes bad is bad
I said cool is a rule but sometimes bad is bad

Across the street, a neon sign
All you can eat for a dollar ninety-nine
This old stew is the baddest in the land
But one dollar's worth was all that I could stand

Sometimes, sometimes bad is bad
I said cool is a rule, but sometimes bad is bad

I came back uptown to see my Marie
Nobody home, so I opened the door with my key
I love you baby was the note that I read
But there's a strange pair of shoes underneath the bed

Sometimes, sometimes bad is bad
I said cool is a rule, but sometimes bad is bad

I said cool is a rule, but sometimes bad is bad
I said cool is a rule, but sometimes bad is bad

When I wasn't focused on the music, (which, by the way, is great for drowning out what your body is telling you so you can finish the workout. It just hurts less if you can't hear your feet hitting the ground) I was thinking about the Braves. I'm sorry, there's just no way they're better this year. I can't remember when I was less excited about baseball getting cranked up. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I just don't see them as an improved ballclub.

Saw a coupla other guys out there running. The conditions weren't exactly ideal, and I couldn't resist saying to them, "hey, this is us wanting it more than the other guy." One of them said to me, "yeah, he's inside where it's warm, eating potato chips. I'd like some potato chips." They were talking about how hot and muggy it will be in the summer. My thought is, if we keep up the routine, the heat won't bother us as bad.

When I started this deal, I talked a little about motivation, and I was thinking about that earlier. Part of the point is to do something. Our bodies were designed for movement. So move. Find a way to do it that suits you, and move. Movement is free. OK, so there was a particular reason. Sounded good in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment