Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Marley and Me

Another three miles tonight. This one was similar to a lot of what I did before. Dropped Nikki off at play rehearsal (she's Sharpay in High School Musical) and Tyler at karate (he's instructing) and then headed to the track. This one is the nicer of the two in Griffin; it's 1/2 mile, with a nice concrete border around the rubber surface. It wasn't quite as cold, either. All in all, not too bad.

Total mileage for the year: 15
WAX: Still 240.

perhaps because ...

Intake: Honey bunches of oats, coffee, two small granola bars mid-morning. Spaghetti for lunch. Grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's for supper, before the run, couple fig newtons and gatorade afterward.

But you know, I feel pretty good. Maybe Rick and his weekly weigh-in strategy would be the way to go ...

Playlist:

Bob Marley and the Wailers, Legend
1. Is This Love
2. No Woman No Cry
3. Could You Be Loved
4. Three Little Birds
5. Buffalo Soldier
6. Get Up Stand UP
7. [there might be kids reading this, so I'm going to refrain from posting the title, so as not to spur uncomfortable explanations]
8. One Love
9. I Shot the Sheriff (not as good as the Clapton version, but still good)
10. Waiting In Vain
11. Redemption Song
12. Satisfy My Soul
13. Exodus

Took me 13 songs to traverse three miles. Why Bob Marley? It was cold out, I was scrolling through my artists list, and something about Marley felt tropical, you know? Fool yourself into thinking it's not so cold.

Something I forgot about last night. The park where I walked is named after Wyomia Tyus, an Olympic 100-meter champion in 1964 and 1968. She's from Griffin, a town that spawned more than 20 NFL players, but she was arguably the first big-time athlete. I think she was in the Olympics before Rayfield Wright hit the NFL. Anyway, so I'm at Wyomia Tyus Olympic Park (paid for by a 1-cent SPLOST about 10 years ago -- thank you taxpayers!) and I'm fired up. You have to realize, I've walked hundreds of miles on that track, and I still find that connection kind of cool. I doubt Wyomia would have run in 25-degree weather, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment